Friday, August 16, 2013

Hank at One Month


 Our Golden Boy!

Well, I am going to go ahead and say it.  It's the most cliche thing in the world, but seriously!  Where does the time go?  This month has absolutely flown by, and though we've had some long days (and nights), the weeks are fast and somehow, it all added up to a month very quickly.  Our precious little man is now one month old, and he is growing up before our eyes.  I am going to do our monthly updates in letter style, so hopefully one day, he can read these too.

Sweet Hank,

When we were waiting for you to enter the world just a month ago, your dad and I had no idea the kind of love and joy that we were in for in our lives.  We both feel completely in love with you and already can't imagine our lives without you.  You are such a sweet and good little baby - you rarely fuss unless you are hungry (which is often - you are your mom's child) and you love to sit and stare at whoever is holding and talking to you.

 Sometimes you make a bit of a judgmental face while listening to me, but I understand.

 You love to lay in the sunlight on your changing table and be outside.

You are such a wiggle worm Hankster - you kick and squirm around all the time, and are so strong - always holding your head up on your own!  One day, you actually rolled over!  We were shocked and pretty sure it was a fluke, but you definitely rolled from your front to your back during some tummy time.  You make so much noise in your sleep - squeaks, sighs, grunts, and I hate to say it, but lots of toots (your dad is proud).  You are constantly making noise over there in your pack and play while we sleep, but between you and me, I am so glad because it gives me a peace knowing you are ok. 


Your dad and I have all kinds of little nicknames that we call you, Henry.  You go by Hank the tank, little man, hankopotamus, hanksters, buddy, hankeriffic, Golden Boy, and whatever else just comes out.  Buddy and Hankster are the names I call you the most.  And you really are my little buddy - you are definitely who I spend the most time with these days, and you are my best little friend.  I love taking you to the mall to walk in your stroller since it's so hot outside.

One of my favorite things you do is prop your head up on my chest.

You are on a pretty good little sleep schedule at night - it didn't start out that way, but lately, you've been sleeping from around 7-9 in the evenings, 10-1 or 2 am and 2 or 3-6 am.  We get some pretty good stretches of sleep in there nowadays.  Early on, sometimes you were up each hour, but we figured out that you weren't eating too much and that wasn't letting you stay asleep.  During the day, you eat, sleep, and want to be held at all different times. You like to nap in your swing, but only if you are really sleeping.  Otherwise, you like to sleep on mom or dad during the day and we don't mind too much!  On your one month birthday, we put you to sleep in your crib for the first time.  You were ok, and I only shed a few tears.

You look exactly like your daddy, buddy.  In fact, you don't even have one of my features, but that is just great with me!

We went through a few little medical issues right off the bat.  Nothing too serious, and definitely nothing compared to what some families go through, but I have to admit that your mom fell apart a few times with worry for her newborn.  Being so exhausted didn't help, either.  First, we found out in the hospital that you were born with "flat ears".  Your ears on the top don't curve over naturally and kind of come to a point (purely a cosmetic issue).  It wasn't even something your dad or I noticed in the hospital, but the pediatrician did.  Now, you see a plastic surgeon each week to check on your ear molds that are currently forming your ears into the perfect shape!  This doesn't hurt or bother you at all, and by far the most traumatic part was when mom had to see the hair around your ears getting shaved off.  You were born with the most beautiful blonde hair, and that first haircut was just too much for me.  I know that it grows back,  and I know that it's totally vain and not a big deal, but I didn't like it.



You also had a bout with jaundice early on and had to stay in a little "tanning bed" for 48 hours.  This was something they delivered to our house, so we were SO lucky to not have to take you back to the hospital to get it fixed.  Basically, so far you have been treated by a plastic surgeon and have spent time in a tanning bed - a true Dallas boy through and through. Ha!


You don't cry a ton for a newborn, but when you do, you are quite loud little man.  That's ok though, because usually all it takes to calm you down is for me or dad to pick you up or give you a good meal.  And who doesn't get a little dramatic when they're hungry?


I love this smile more than anything.  You are smiling so much, happy boy!  It is one of your few tricks as a one month old, and I can't get enough.  I know they are not necessarily on purpose, and it's mostly right after you've eaten (again, you are my child), but I love them.


Your stats this month:

Weight: 10 pounds, 6 ounces - 75th percentile!
Length: 22.25 inches - 75th percentile!
Once you gained weight, you really gained little one!

We love you more than anything, Henry boy!



No comments:

Post a Comment