Thursday, September 5, 2013

1st month - top ten baby products

It is kind of hard to know what to expect that you'll need when you have a baby for the first time.  You have people telling you all kinds of different things on what to get and what not to get for your baby, and it can be really difficult to decide what is right for your baby, especially since you get all this stuff before they're even here.  It is truly just a figure it out as you go kind of job.  These are the things that I could not have done without this month - well, that's probably an exaggeration.  These are the top ten things that I am very glad we had on hand for Henry's first month of life (a very delayed post)!  They are listed in no particular order.



ONE
I got the Medela Pump In Style Advanced because it had great reviews, especially for those moms who went back to work.  It works really well and has a great carrying case, so it is super portable.  I didn't realize how soon I would need to start pumping, and this has really come in handy.  I would definitely recommend getting the hands-free bra - that is a lifesaver.  And buy extra pump parts - you are constantly washing them anyway, but the extra parts definitely make it easier on busy days.  One bonus is that Dr. Brown's bottles fit right onto the pump parts, which is convenient for bottle making.

TWO
My Brestfriend is the breastfeeding pillow that I have used far more often than the Boppy.  I like the Boppy and think it is cuter, but this one is much more useful to me.  It stays flat like a shelf and you can strap it on so it doesn't come apart from you while you are trying to feed a squirming infant.  I really think this is a must have for breastfeeding!  Funny name, but great item!

THREE
This Pottery Barn rocking chair was super expensive, I know, but I have spent more time in it than anywhere else in our house since Hank was born.  It is so comfortable, and I love the way it fits into our nursery.
I absolutely cherish my time rocking my sweet boy to sleep.
FOUR
This swing is on loan to us from my sister-in-law, and it has been a lifesaver!  Hank loves it and takes all his naps in this swing.  It can move from side-to-side, or front-to-back, plays music (including the Lake Highlands fight song, oddly enough), and has a mirror and toys hanging down for the baby to stare at.  It's a great napping swing for early on!



FIVE
This isn't an item, but it sure was a lifesaver for us!  This is a really easy way to set up a meal calendar for someone when they have a baby.  Those first few weeks, I have never wanted to cook less.  (Did that make sense)?  Anyway,  we have been so blessed to have Mallory set this up for us and so many friends and family members come by and bring us dinner.  Plus, they all got to meet Hank, so it was a win-win!  This is a great thing for new parents!

SIX
These Gerber burp cloths are great for cleaning up messy eaters.  We go through anywhere between 3-6 a day.  My friend Gretchen custom makes and monograms these as well - they are a great gift idea - let me know if you want her info!

SEVEN
 These are awesome - everyone suggests getting them, and even the Royal Baby had one on in his big debut!  They are great for swaddling, covering up, rolling up for a head prop while breastfeeding, etc.  Get plenty of these - you will love them!  We go through about 2-3 a day.

Loves being wrapped up in these blankets.

EIGHT
We were introduced to the Halo sleepsacks in the hospital since that is what they used to swaddle.  It is a really easy way to swaddle your infant and Hank didn't break out of them at all when he was tiny.  It zips from the top down which is convenient for late night diaper changes too.  I had to sneak a Hank pic in there - I didn't always swaddle his arms in because he likes them up there like he's posing. 
 
NINE
OK, Baby Gap onesies might not be a necessity but they are the cutest!  I love these and Gap always has a great sale or coupon to use.  We love the Carter's brand also, but before we had Hank and didn't know he was a boy, these Gap onesies were all I bought because they have lots of gender-neutral choices.  They are comfy and hold up well being washed a bunch.
Hank has three aunts who he loves very much!


TEN
This is something I hadn't really heard of until my mom got it for us.  My nephew has one too, and I have to say that it provides me with SUCH a peace of mind now that Hank is sleeping for longer periods of time.  It has an alarm that will go off if there is no movement in the crib, which tells you if the baby is no longer breathing. I tried to be the not-nervous-about-the-baby-breathing mom, but that didn't work out so well.  Now, I can rest easy when he's sleeping!  We used this in the pack-and-play, and now in the crib!

I'll be back for my top month two items in a few weeks - there are some different things we've been using as he grows!

No comments:

Post a Comment