Sunday, January 20, 2013

3 months of Poppy

My first post on pregnancy!  Tomorrow, I will be in my 15th week of being pregnant - though "the bump", in its infinite wisdom, will say I am in week 14.  I am 14 full weeks, but in the 15th week, so I think it should say 15.  It honestly is too much for my pregnant brain to think about anymore!  I've been confused for weeks.  It is so crazy to me how close we are to being half way there.  It seems like this is going by way faster than our 7 month engagement.  We have plenty to do in our next 25 weeks (God willing), so I am thankful God gives us 9 months to get it all done!  Speaking of getting stuff done...ANY advice on registry items would be super helpful!  Leave me a comment or email me, if you have anything that you feel strongly about (brands, what you couldn't live without, what you didn't need, etc).  The baby registry is quite the beast!


3 Month Pregnancy Highlights:

How Far Along: 14 Weeks (I have anxiety about how much I am showing already, but I read this is normal for short people - I hope!)
Size of baby: Poppy is the size of a lemon - about 3.4 inches and 1.5 ounces.  The Bump calendar says she is sucking her thumb and wiggling her toes. Are you kidding me!?

Total Weight Gain/Loss: Gained 1 pound! You can't imagine how happy I am about that one.  Weight is such an issue for me, and I know it will be a struggle internally for me during pregnancy.  My goal is 25 pounds, so I am really glad I didn't waste half of that in the first trimester, like I thought I would.  Gaining one pound in my first trimester also made me feel better about showing so quickly.

Maternity Clothes: I probably should not be wearing any yet, but my sweet sister-in-law handed down some amazing black work maternity pants to me and those babies are too comfy to pass up!  She also gave me some black maternity sweat pants that are amazing, and while my other sweats still fit, they are definitely in the rotation.  

Gender: We aren't finding out Poppy's gender until birth!  I do have a strong suspicion that she is a girl, though Aaron is holding strong that it's a boy.

Movement: I don't feel anything yet, but during our 10 week sonogram, Poppy was going crazy, waving her arms and kicking around like crazy.  Even the doctor said, "Whoa! Your baby is active!" He also said, "Wow, that's a big baby already!" Grrrrrreat.

Sleep: I sleep great!  Just have to get up to use the restroom a few times (sorry TMI), but no problems in this area, which is typical me.

What I miss: Feta cheese, goat cheese, anything revolving around cheese I am not supposed to be eating. :) I would say sushi and margaritas, but neither sound good to me at all, surprisingly.
Cravings: fruit, fruit, fruit - all I want is cantaloupe, oranges, strawberries, pineapple, etc.  And pickles.

Symptoms: I am feeling much better lately - I used to feel sick when I even thought of chicken.  And don't get me started on what happens when I see a sign for a McRib sandwich.  It isn't pretty. I do have a small headache pretty much every afternoon, but it isn't bad at all.  Feeling tired is probably the biggest thing, but nothing to complain about.  Also, I cry all the time....at a Garth Brooks song in the car (not even a sad one), at the end of Princess Diaries (how does this happen?), and at the Baby Gap looking at tiny clothes.  I can't make this stuff up!
Nursery Progress:  Our second bedroom is pretty much cleaned out.  We had to get rid of the guest room furniture and I had to really condense my clothes that were in that closet.  It feels like we made a lot of progress, though.  We have decided to decorate in gray and white, with some "pops of teal" (Aaron's words...haha kidding!).  And incorporate elephants as the theme.  I love elephants, and thought they were the perfect color for a gender neutral little room.

I am overwhelmed with how much I love this baby already - he or she is already such a big part of my heart, it is crazy.  I definitely did not expect to feel this strongly for a baby already, but I just do.  I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow to listen to the heartbeat, so I will post an update on that soon!



3 comments:

  1. What an exciting post, Becky! I think you are NORMAL for the tired part. Wait until you get a little more into the 2nd tri mester - you will feel more like your energetic self again. 2nd is a GREAT trimester! I don't have a lot of baby item advice. It's been 7 years and things change so much. I do remember the first time we were at Babies R Us to register and we were hemming and hawing over some medicine things. A very nice mom came over and said something like, "you will get one of those droppers/caps in EVERY medicine you get for the baby". We were so relieved. It was overwhelming! I think a good thermometer is one thing that I would invest in. When it's the middle of the night and this little person whom you love with all your heart is sick and HOT and crying and miserable, and can't talk, it is TORTURE to hold that thermometer in the right place to get an accurate reading. However, the ear one never worked for us. They probably have improvements in this area by now, so I'd go for the best thermometer! I also loved our bouncer chair. It's not a bouncy thing. It's a place to put the baby when first born so baby doesn't have to be on the floor. Get the cute bar - baby DOES look at it even from as young as 3 months! We are SOOOOOO excited for you! We didn't find out the gender either, and I was POSITIVE it was a girl! Your brain will return eventually. Enjoy all of this while you can. It goes by WAY too fast!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I want to tell you that you're SO cute. And I love your stories about crying. I didn't cry when I was pregnant with Charlie... after he GOT here was an entirely different story. I cried at the drop of a hat! Dang you hormones and lack of sleep!

    Second, I want to tell you that you CAN eat Feta and Goat cheese! What you cannot have is non-pasturized milk. That said, I asked a lot of restaurants if their cheese was pasteurized until someone finally said, "it's FDA code that we can't serve anything NOT pasteurized." SO... if you want Feta or Goat or Bleu cheese, just look at the labels. They will ALL say they use pasteurized milk!

    And... I don't know about "have to" things for registering, but I do recommend choosing a light (while obviously safe) option for a carseat and umbrella and walking strollers. Hauling those things around is cumbersome enough without adding extra pounds to them! I think we found (through many friends doing much more extensive research than I!) that the Chicco KeyFit was the most safe and was a couple pounds lighter than like a Peg Perego. Also, I only used it for about 6 months, but I loved the snap n go stroller for moving a sleeping baby and running errands or walking the mall or whatever.

    If you want to nurse, I really did love the BrestFriend. I totally made fun of it, but it saved my back for those months of nursing. :)

    SO happy for you!!!

    ReplyDelete